Tuesday, February 12, 2013

R-E-S-P-E-C-T... what does it mean to you?

So this has been an article that I have been wanting to write for several months now, but I now finally have the time to write it!  The topic of respect seems like a common sense issue, like manners or being kind to one another... but as I look at the world around me I'm just floored by how LITTLE respect I am seeing.

A few months ago I was shopping at Target and as I was waiting in the check out lane, there was a family of 5 in front of me.  The husband and wife were having a disagreement of some kind and were getting kinda loud.  Their three kids were running amuck and being unruly, which I'm sure was adding to the parent's stress and aggression to each other.  Then the mom said something to her husband, that I was shocked came out of her mouth.

"Make your self useful and just go sit in the car... get out of my face so I don't have to deal with you."

YIKES!!!!  First I couldn't believe the disrespect that was just directed toward her husband and on top of that it was in front of all three kids!  As I left and was making my way to my car, I passed by the family again and they were still flinging insults at each other.

Now this was an isolated incident, but as I observe people more and more, the more I feel our society's level of human respect for each other has fallen.  Where are the ladies and gentlemen of yesteryears?  By being emotionally impulsive we are teaching the next generation how to disrespect other people and that this behavior is okay.

One thing I first loved about Mr. D was when we were dating he NEVER let me open the car door myself.  It was second nature for him to always come to my side first and let me in the car.  Now that we have two children we are both getting the kids in the car, but it was that first impression of being a total gentleman that was really attractive to me.  I think we as a society need to get back to the roots of 'Treat others how you want to be treated.'  We teach kids this important life lesson, but then turn around and show them how we don't respect other adults and even our family!  Actions always speak louder than words especially when it comes to kids.

So my challenge for all of you and including myself, is to constantly remind yourself of the golden rule.  Every hour of everyday before you speak or act ask yourself if you are being respectful.  This will make you a happier person and you WILL see changes in your children and family.  And just maybe we can bring back a more respectful society :)

No comments:

Post a Comment