Friday, May 4, 2012

Free Write Friday!! - A Coupon 'Want to be' and The Kohl's Game

So I was going to use this for my 'Thoughtful Thursdays' but little ET was super fussy and I didn't have my hands empty long enough to write.  So here we are today!  Little man is down for a nap and KJ is eating lunch.....  lets get started :)

So most of us have seen 'Extreme Couponing' on TV and if you are anything like me you are amazed at how these people can get several full carts of stuff for just a few bucks.  Well, I wish I could say that I'm one of those snazzy people.... but I'm so not!  I want to be... but I'm not.  As CFO in our family I take our spending very seriously, and I feel that I do pretty good at the grocery store for an amateur.

Grocery day is always on Wednesdays after we get our store ad in the mail.  I clip the coupons of things we actually use, which is only about 4-6 coupons per week.  I also have a store card so anything that I don't have a coupon for I either buy the cheapest or the best value.  (so like spending more for a larger package because it is a better value per lb)

In a week I manage to buy enough food for 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, and 6 homemade dinners, plus snacks and desserts.  My total bill is around $75 at Safeway plus $20 at the meat and produce market, and saving usually around $28-$35 from my coupons and store card.

Now something awesome that Safeway does is if you spend $75 or more you get a coupon for $10 off your next shopping trip!!  Also when you use your store card (this is not a credit card!  It is only a coupon 'member' card that you can register for, for free) you earn gas points.  In a month I fill up my tank usually once or twice and I usually earn about 6 points.  So when I fill up at a Safeway gas station I get .60 cents off every gallon I purchase!  Whoot Whoot!!!

So, like I said, I am not a great grocery store couponer, but I feel like I'm doing okay.  Where I really shine is at Kohl's.  Yes, really the only place I shop for everything non grocery is at Kohl's.  For some reason the women in my family thrive on our trips to Kohls, and we always play the Kohl's game.

Here is what the game sounds like:
"Okay I just went to Kohl's and this is what I bought..... yadda yadda yadda.... Now guess how much I spent"
"You spent $120."
"Close!!  I spent $98.  Now guess how much I saved."
"You saved $270."
"Nope! $340!!!!!"
"Whoot Whoot!!!"

And then we all rejoice :)

So here is how I play the saving mula at Kohl's game.  This is top secrete stuff that I should keep to myself but feel it is my civic duty to share.

First I NEVER go to Kohl's unless I receive a 30% off coupon in the mail.  These coupons get sent out once a month and they will give you either 15, 20, or 30% off your entire purchase including sale and clearance items.  Don't go if you get a 15.... you are worth more than that!!!  ONLY go when you get a 30% off.  Also go the first day your coupon is activated... I will explain why a bit later.

Next, buy only out of season and clearance items.  Yes I have a winter wardrobe stocked up for KJ and ET in a size too big so they can wear it next winter, because it was on the clearance rack.  You can get kids clothes for like 3 dollars or cheaper!  Example.... my last Kohl's trip I was shopping clearance shoes and found black winter 'up to the knee' boots that I have been wanting for about 7 years!  I look at the original price... 99.99 YIKES.  Since we are springing into summer, these winter boots were hanging out on the clearance shelf.  If you add my 30% off coupon I paid 24.00 for these boots!  That was a large purchase for me... but considering the original price and how long I have been wanting them... I splurged :)

Now, after you shop and get most of things your family need clothing wise, take your awesome coupon and your clearance clothes and march up to the check out.  But wait you really could use some sunglasses, or that top, or a new kitchen pot..... don't buy it now... WAIT, you will thank me later for this!

You have checked out, you spent $150.00 for the entire family and you saved over $450.  You feel really bad for the lady in front of you who didn't have a coupon and was buying regular priced clothes... she just doesn't know how to play the Kohl's game!  (She should really read this blog...)

Anywho, because you spent 150 you will receive $30 Kohl's cash to spend about two weeks from that date.  Now you remember I told you to make sure you go the first day your coupon is activated.  Well with that and a bit of luck your Kohl's cash and your coupon (which they always hand back to you) will overlap on dates they can be used.  So now you, Miss Savvy Shopper can go back to buy those sunglasses, a top or kitchen pot you wanted for FREE!!!  Yup armed with your 30% off and $30 Kohl's cash go back and show them how it is done!

Another cool tidbit I have (which my mother figured out and told me) is about the 'in store' Kohl's kiosk.  If you can't find your size, or you see something on their website but can't find it in the store.... don't buy it online, go to 'in store' Kohl's kiosk and order it there.  Why?  Because you can use your Kohl's cash and coupons, plus it's free shipping!  You can't beat that!

Well, now you know how to play the Kohl's game.  Mr. D always says Kohl's loses money every time I shop there... so be picky with who you share this info with.... we wouldn't want Kohl's going out of business, now would we!



No comments:

Post a Comment