Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thoughtful Thursdays: Why We Homeschool

I woke up this morning and realized that I have never really written about our personal choice to homeschool.  As this is a homeschooling resource blog I felt it was important to share our reasons for our decision.  I understand most families don't have the option to homeschool if both parents are working full time out of the home.  I also understand how incredibly blessed I am to have the opportunity to stay at home with our kids, and that Mr. D supports homeschooling.

When I first thought about homeschooling it was because KJ was only 4 and couldn't start public school but she had finished her Pre-K class with flying colors.  So it was a choice of....  have her do Pre-K again.... or keep her home and lose a year waiting until she could enroll in K... or homeschool.  I had some reservations about the stress and pressure of being my daughter's teacher.  But those soon went away after the first week of class and she did amazing.

Since we started homeschooling I have found so many benefits compared to public or even private school.
  • I get to spend all day with my child and I'm in full control of what she is and is not exposed to.
  • We get Bible time and can incorporate our Faith during class.
  • She is learning more than just 'book' smarts... she is learning lots of life and home skills.
  • Field Trips!!!!  Experiencing knowledge hands on!
  • Time: 8 hours at school compared to the 2-3 hrs a day we spend on school.
  • There is consistency in her discipline.
  • Working at her own pace.  She is in Kindergarten, but has moved onto First grade math and science.
  • Seeing my child learn and grow.  I LOVE being her teacher.
  • Knowing I'm giving her a jump start on her education.
  • Extra activities.  Since she isn't stuck at school all day, we have time for her to take dance and piano lessons, Awana's at church, Library day and story time, and soon.. girl scouts.
Another reason that I feel strongly about homeschooling which has nothing to do with education, is the public school environment.  Having taught in public schools for over 9 years, I know what the kids are like these days and that at younger and younger ages things are getting worse and worse.  5 and 6 year olds are talking about things that they shouldn't even know about yet.  I can't control what other kids learn from their houses and their parents, and if KJ were in school I wouldn't be able to keep her from hearing things from other kids.  At home we can introduce her to the world in a way we feel is appropriate and at the correct age.  Now some people may say that is being over protective but I feel like it is me being a responsible parent.  

As far as how KJ feels about homeschooling.... she loves it!  She keeps asking me if I'm going to be her teacher next year too :)  We have decided that as long as she is happy with homeschooling we will continue to homeschool.  If she ever wanted to try public or private school we would let her.  But until then we are having a blast and lovin' learning!!!!




2 comments:

  1. I was homeschooled kindergarten through the second grade and I loved being with my mom and I learned so much from her! When I was in the third grade I asked to go to public school and my mom respected that and I attended a public school through graduation, but I still had my mom to help me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing your homeschooling experience with us :)

    ReplyDelete