Saturday, February 25, 2012

Free Write Fridays: Little Bit of a Rant...

I know it is now Saturday and not Friday.... but I have a little rant I needed to get off my chest.  Maybe you are a parent like me and can sympathize with my situation and where I'm coming from.  This is the very first 'negative' thing I have ever written on either of my blogs so please forgive me in advance.  

So here is my rant:

To the parents of other kids.... If your kid is sick PLEASE KEEP THEM HOME!!!!

Don't take them out shopping, or to the mall.... Don't take them to their dance class where you know they will be holding hands with other children.  Don't take them to church and other activities where they will be sharing crayons and obviously germs!  

I get so sick and tired (pun intended) of taking my perfectly healthy child to her normal social activities during the week only to get her back - sick!

We are a very health conscious family and so far we have been very blessed that KJ hasn't really had any major sicknesses in her almost 5 years on this earth.... But this year she has been sick more than any other year, and I really feel like it is a group of kids that attend her Wednesday night Awanas who always show up even if they are sick.  It amazes me that parents will take their sick kids to their activities as if nothing is wrong.  Uh HELLO!!!!!  Keep your germs in your house... when your kid is better then they can come back.  We actually had to send out a flier to our Awanas parents telling them to make sure and keep sick children home.  REALLY?  We have to tell parents to do this??  Why is common sense lacking here???

So we have Awanas on Wednesday nights and my very healthy KJ went as normal... she woke up the next morning with a cough.  I gave her meds and some home remedies and she was fine during the day.  (normal croup virus: attacks mostly at night)  Well she kept getting worse and worse and last night she woke up crying saying she couldn't breath and couldn't swallow.  So we took her into the ER.  She received a breathing treatment and steroids for the swelling.



They said she would be contagious for the next 5 days...  So I'm going to be the responsible parent and keep her home from all of her activities for the next week.

But what then....?

What about when she is all better?  All the hard work to get her well again... the money spent on doc visits and the ER, and medicine.... 

I know that as soon as we go back to our activities again there will just be another kid who is still sick and contagious that KJ will be interacting with who will in turn get her sick again.  

Does anyone else feel my frustration out there????

So in closing......  PARENTS, PLEASE KEEP YOUR SICK KIDS HOME UNTIL THEY ARE WELL AGAIN!!!!!!  The rest of us parents and our children would really appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment