Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thoughtful Thursdays: Cloth Diapers

So with my first kiddo, we used disposable diapers and this time around I wanted to try something new.  So I looked into cloth diapers and all the different brands and types... it was a little exhausting just doing the research!!  So I'm here to share with you our choices and our experience so far with our cloth diapers.

After all the searching and comparing we decided to use Bum Genius 4.0 snap diapers.

We have been using them for a little over 2 weeks now and these are the pros and cons I have found to cloth diapering :)


Pros:
  • They are super soft and super cute with lots of colors and styles to choose from!
  • We will be saving about 3000 dollars by not having to buy disposable.  And will be saving even more since we will probably use them for future kids as well. (This is what sold Mr. D on the cloth idea)  We also bought cloth wipes so we will also be saving money by not buying disposable wipes.
  • No more diaper genie and buying those expensive refills.
  • We are being a 'green' family by not adding thousands of diapers to the land fills. 
  • Potty training is considered easier with kids who use cloth diapers compared to disposable.
  • Cloth is better for baby's bottom :)
  • The diapers are one size so they fit newborn all the way up to potty training!

Cons:

  • It is a big expense upfront.  We paid about 400 for all the diapers, cloth wipes, and the poo sprayer.
  • It is more work... I am now washing diapers about once every two days.  And after they are all clean you then need to stuff the inserts.  I don't mind the work when I think of the money we are saving, but with being a SAHM I have the time during the day to get them done.  Mommies who want to do cloth but also work and don't have the extra time, I would recommend looking into a diaper service that washes them for you :)
  • You have to change the baby more often.  I remember with KJ being able to get by with keeping her in a diaper longer. But with cloth you have to really stay on top of changing them more often.

So far I've been really happy with the cloth diapers we chose.  I would recommend getting at least 20 diapers or more depending on how often you want to do laundry.  Below is a link for a very helpful video I found while researching diapers.  I hope my comments and the video can help someone else in their research about cloth vs. disposable diapers!






No comments:

Post a Comment